Hewlett- Packard (HP) has announced a worldwide safety recall and replacement program for a battery used in more than 15 of their laptops. The batteries have the potential to overheat, creating a serious risk of fire and a burn hazard to any customers. For this reason, it is extremely important that you check whether your battery is affected.
What is the issue and what can you do to protect yourself?:
- The batteries affected were sold within HP laptops worldwide from December 2015 through to December 2017.
- Many of the batteries are built into the internal system of the laptops, meaning that they cannot be simply replaced by customers.
- HP are therefore providing battery replacement services by an authorized technician at no cost.
- They have also released a BIOS update that will place the battery in “Battery Safety Mode”, so that any product affected can be safely used by connecting to a HP power adaptor which will bypass any reliance on the compromised battery.
- Batteries affected by the recall should immediately be put into “Battery Safety Mode”.
How to activate the “Battery Safety Mode” BIOS update:
- The Battery Safety Mode BIOS update will only be available to products whose battery has been identified as being eligible for replacement.
- If the BIOS update is an option on your product it should be applied as soon as possible and the system should be rebooted. During the reboot process, an option will be presented to enable the Battery Safety Mode.
- By applying this mode the battery will discharge all power and will cease to function until Battery Safety Mode is disabled.
- You will still be able to use the product when this mode is enabled, however you will need to keep it connected to a HP power adaptor in order to use it safely.
Notebook Product Names that may be affected:
|ProBook||HP Probook 640 G2||HP ProBook 640 G3|
|HP ProBook 645 G2||HP ProBook 645 G3|
|HP ProBook 650 G2||HP ProBook 650 G3|
|HP ProBook 655 G2||HP ProBook 655 G3|
|ZBook||HP ZBook 17 G3||HP ZBook 17 G4|
|HP ZBook Studio G3|
|x360||HP x360 310 G2|
|Pavilion||HP Pavilion x360|
|Envy||HP ENVY m6|
|11||HP 11 Notebook PC|
But you don’t need to worry. We can check your laptop battery for you in just a few minutes (we can help over the phone), and advise on any next step to keep yourself safe, without disrupting your business.
Simply click here to contact us.
HP have produced an online Battery Validation Utility that will check your battery on your device for you.